Formerly established asIn 1873, religious services of Swedish settlers began when Rev. John F. Wretlof, a 29 year old preacher from from Boone, IA, arrived along the Sioux River in Sioux Township. Pastor Wretlof was born Dec. 26, 1843, in Göteborg, Sweden, and had immigrated from Sweden, August 3, 1864. He came to Rock Rapids on the stage in May 1873, transferred onto a mail wagon to Larchwood, and then set out on foot across the open prairie in search of Swedish settlers that lived in this region. After walking most of the day, he heard a dog barking in the distance and followed the sounds of activity to the Jackson dugout along the Big Sioux River, about one and a half miles southwest of Granite, IA. He stayed with the Jacksons for a few days and met with other Swedish pioneers in the area, sharing God’s Word in preaching, song and prayer, the start of a religious community.
Grand View Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Mission Church
Grand View Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Mission Church
These settlers introduced him to more Swedes, taking him to Dakota Territory, to the north, where Wretlof eventually started two more congregations, The Beaver Valley Lutheran Church, of Valley Springs, SD and Swedona Mission (Covenant) Church, north of Brandon, SD. Rev. Wretlof soon brought his newlywed bride, of one year, the former Augusta Johnson, to the community, and they homesteaded near Valley Springs, SD.
Various traveling missionaries from Dakota Territory/South Dakota also visited the region regularly from the early beginnings of the community. For the next 39 years, organized mission meetings were held in the woods at John and Johanna Longs, Peter and Anna Newbergs on the Dakota side of the river, and Isaac and Carrie Swansons, for about 31 years families met in a school house near John Longs, with Wretlof coming about every third Sunday to lead the worship service, as well as meeting in other homes near the Sioux River. Mrs. Isaac Swanson gave him lodging most of the time, while he was in the community, in the early years.
Left: Friends and relatives meeting at the Charles and Anna Swanson home.
As years passed, the number of people increased on the land, including more immigrants from Sweden, allowing the religious community to grow. From about 1904 to 1914, the religious meetings were held in the homes and groves of: Axel and Olga Bonander’s northwest of Granite, Charles and Emma Long south of Granite, Martin and Anna Ruud’s southwest of Granite, and Charles and Anna Swanson east of Granite.
On August 3, 1912, the Grand View Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Mission Church of Granite, Iowa was organized, in the home of Charles and Anna Swanson on section 21 of Sioux township, under the supervision of Rev. Wretlof. Five families were the foundation of this congregation.
Members included: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Long, Cecelia Martin and Willie, Mr. and Mrs. August Swanson, Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Swanson and Mabel, and Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Swanson and sons Swan, Edward and Anton, a group of 15 members with Rev. Wretlof.
Rev. Wretlof was elected chairman, L.C. Meberg, acting secretary; and more families joined the congregation, and a subscription list was circulated by the congregation members for the building of a church. Trustees; August Swanson, Charles Swanson and Swan Swanson were commissioned by the congregation to build a church, one and one half miles southwest of Granite, on an acre of ground donated by Swan Swanson.
Left: Ladies Aid meeting at the C.T. & Anna Swanson home. In the picture is the Swanson's new King automobile.
Mrs. C.T. (Anna) Swanson conceived the idea of forming a Ladies’ Aid society, so on March 18, 1913, the ladies of the community were gathered at her home under the direction of Rev. Wretlof to meet every other week with Mrs. Swanson as their first president. This group did much sewing, including making a large blue block quilt with a yellow star in each square was made with people paying to have their names sewn in red on points of the yellow stars. The Ladies' Aid auctioned the quilt off and it was bought by Charlie Long for $60.00! The society also held large dinners for the community and invited others of the region to their fundraisers. Their income was said to be several hundred dollars a year, used for local and missionary purposes. (In 1982, the societies name was changed to Covenant Women.)
A constitution was adopted and the church was given the name of, The Grand View Swedish Mission Church of Granite, IA, affiliated with the Swedish Christian Missionary Society of South Dakota. Erected during 1913 - 1914, a stone foundation supported the gothic, stained glass windowed church with the grand staircase leading up to the front doors. The new church building was 26 x 48 ft. in size, comprised of eight rooms with a front arched auditorium with a slanted floor and a furnished basement. It was meant to hold about 200 people. The building was lighted with gas and heated with a hot air furnace. Upstairs, furnishings were procured including the beautiful altar oil painting (for $113.) “Ascension” and a piano, won in a contest by Mabel Swanson, for the church. The total cost of the church was $5,094.14, most of which was paid before it’s dedication, on Sunday, May 31, 1914. Before a large gathering of people, this church was dedicated to be a House of God, to worship Him in, and to be a spiritual light, full of warmth and guidance of the people, with the hope that many may find their soul’s salvation. Rev. Wretlof, Rev. O. H. Miller of Stockholm, SD, and Rev. K.O. Axelson, South Dakota traveling missionary, all took part in the dedication services, setting the church aside for its most high and holy mission.
The Sunday School was organized by Pastor Wretlof, on April 26, 1914. Miss Mabel Swanson was the first superintendent and over the years many faithful superintendents, teachers and students have been active in making it a vital part of our church through song, lessons, special programs and summer Bible School.
About 1918, Rev. Wretlof, with old age approaching, was aided by Rev. Emil Bergren from Swedona Mission church, as he was asked to give pastoral aid. He would motor down from Swedona about every other Sunday to preach an afternoon service. In 1919, a seminary student, Rev. Arvid Carlson from North Park College in Chicago, IL was called for the summer. He also interchanged with Rev. Bergren in preaching in Swedona and Salem, SD churches. Rev. Wretlof resigned, March 24, 1919, and only months later, on December 1, 1919, our faithful shepherd and minister of 46 years passed away in his home in Brandon, SD. May there always be a Peace of Christian Love over his memory.
A parsonage was conceived by the congregation and about 20 acres of ground (the former Quist place in the NW corner of Granite) owned by C. T. Swanson, was considered a good central location in the community. Rev. Bergren commissioned the trustees; August Swanson, C. T. Swanson, and Ed Swanson to purchase this land and a deed was recorded and improvements on the house were made.
The church got its first resident pastor, Rev. R. A. Larson, from Worthington, MN, who came with his family, June 9, 1921. At this time he brought about the church opening to the English language, with morning Swedish services and evening English services. Rev. Larson also organized the Young People Society in 1921 with Emil Swanson as the first chairman. This group started out meeting weekly for teachings and social time in area Christian homes. After three years Rev. Larson preached his farewell sermon Sunday, July 13, and left Granite, July 22, 1924, for Buffalo, NY.
Successors to the pulpit at Grandview were Rev. Samuel Hogander, The Rev. Charles Carlson and the Rev. Herman Carlson, who resigned in 1930. During the vacancy which followed his resignation the church was visited occasionally by different pastors. Rev. Bergren, at this time fieldsman of the South Dakota District, assisted the church considerably as did Rev. Raymond A. Johnson.
Rev. H. R. Jacobson began his ministry in the spring of 1934, and served the Grandview and Swedona churches jointly. In 1946, Rev. France Ericson took charge and in the same year the church joined the Northwest Conference but remained in the South Dakota District.
Right: Ladies taking a break out the back door of the church: Amelia Bennett, Olga Bonander, Tresa Grotewold, Tilda Swanson, Anna Monson, and Ella BjorkRev. David Kline accepted the call as full-time pastor in 1950. In 1952, he was succeeded by Rev. Ralph Powell as supply preacher. In 1953, Robert Fuchs (Fox), a student of the Baptist Seminary in Sioux Falls, took over the pastorate. Rev. France Ericson resumed duties as interim pastor in 1955.
A Martha Missionary Circle was organized in 1955, in the home of Mrs. Ethel (Swanson)
Palmberg, who was elected the first president. Its activities included projects such as sewing for the mission fields, childrens and retirement centers. They have sponsored various students in foreign countries and after 30 years of faithful service their responsibilities were turned over to the Covenant Women.
Rev. Paul Nelson served Grandview from 1957-1965. During this time a new constitution was adopted in January 1958, establishing the church name as the Grandview Covenant Church of Larchwood, IA.
during the next 12 years, the church was served by students of the Baptist Seminary in Sioux Falls, they were: David Samf (Sems), Jerry Edinger, Gale O’Neil, David Ehman and David Rushton. From 1977 to 1980, Dr. Ralph Powell returned to Grandview, assisted by John Ziulkowski, another seminary student, served Grandview.
The AWANA Youth Club, was started in 1975. It reaches out to all denominations. When this group started, they met once a week during the school year in the Larchwood Gym. Volunteer leaders and helpers prepared a very spiritual and enjoyable evening for the boys and girls of the community. The AWANA club dissolved for a time but has become active again in 2002.
Terry Lundquist, a graduate of North Park Seminary, served 1980-1981. Dr. Ralph Powell returned in 1981 to serve as our faithful and conscientious pastor. He was assisted by the following Baptist Seminary students: Harold Schroeder, Michael Campbell, Scott MacDonald and Tim Friez.
Modernization and improvements have come to the church as the years have passed. New electrical and pluming brought lights, improved kitchen facilities and restrooms. On May 25, 1941, the congregation had electric lights for the first time at our evening services. Pews, replacing the folded theater chairs and a new pulpit were installed in April of 1962. The pews and new pulpit were a memorial gift in honor of Carl J. Johnson. An addition was built onto the back giving room for another classroom and later office. Evergreen trees were planted to surround and protect the church on top of the highest point in Lyon County. In 1983, an addition was built, expanding the sanctuary to provide seating for an additional one hundred people, adding space for a new entry, sunday school rooms, and a reception area in the fellowship hall in the basement. Dedication services were held November 20, 1983.
Carl and Tracy Dieters donated more land to the East of the church and ample parking was added to the church grounds for the growing church.
The church celebrated their 75th anniversary September 12-13, 1987, when there were 32 families having membership. The church was active with Covenant Women, Sunday School, a Young People group, Daily Vacation Bible School, and the Awana Youth Club.
Constitution and By-Laws of the church were revised Sept. 25, 1988. The purpose of this church is to unite believers in fellowship for spiritual edification, for the winning of sinners to Christ, and for the propagation of the gospel of Jesus Christ through home and world missions.
Following those before with faithful service to Grandview were, Rev. Jack Brooks, Rev. Heidi Wiebe and Pastor Hariet Shelton. The last two graduates of North Park Covenant Seminary.
In 2002, the Awana program was reinstituted in an effort to teach community youth about the Bible. Evening meetings are held at the Larchwood Recreation Center. Pastor Hans Eric Nelson, another North Park Graduate served the congregation from 2002 to 2004. Currently Pastor Penny Nance is serving the congregation, with members and the faithful attending from South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa.
There is a church cemetery 1/2 mile west of the church building overlooking the Sioux River Valley.
We are happy to celebrate history that is past, experience that is present, and hope and assurance that is our future. Praise be to God for our heritage.
Our Little White Church on The Hill by my Grandmother Phoebe (Swanson) Johnson
(Tune “The Church in the Wildwood”)
Oh, come to the church in the country,
Our little white church on the hill,
Where the Master waits, now, to give welcome,
And each heart with new gladness to fill.
Oh, come, come, come, come
Worship the God of our fathers,
We trust Him as Counselor still.
May His Gospel Light always shine brightly
In our little white church on the hill.
How dear to us now is the chancel,
Where true hearts, in faith, have been wed,
Where our babes in God’s name have been christened,
And our youth in confirmation have read.
Here, loved ones, now gone, seem to linger;
In their stead, we labor today;
May we seek joy and peace in the Savior;
Love and praise Him each step of the way!