Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dubbelde Bridge

This photo is from around 1910 and shows some school children on the Blood Run Creek bridge about 3/4 of a mile from our farm, near our neighbors the Dubbelde's farm. Of course the bridge is long gone but I love this photo as it represents a simpler time. Do you think anyone was worried about the students climbing up on the railing? Who took the photo? Sioux Township No. 2 rural school was just north of this bridge in the extreme NW corner of the state of Iowa. My Grandmother Phoebe Swanson Johnson is the girl on the far left of the photo. It was a time of simple pleasures, where taking a trip to the creek and getting a group picture on a bridge was a big thing.
I've been disappointed in how some students are living in a me, me, gimmie, gimmie, world with egos and attitudes to match. Manners and respect are escaping some of our youth. You've heard the saying, "You have to earn respect", I'm not sure that is even totally true anymore, some kids hear that and think you should pay them for their respect! How many times have I asked for help, to get the response, "what ya gonna to pay me?" I guess it's time for summer vacation for both the students AND the teachers. Good luck parents, I hope you encourage some attitude adjustments over the summer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails