Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Johan August Danielsson/ Lång/ Long Family

I am not related to this family but the son Carl mentioned below did marry my Great Aunt Emma Johnson. The Longs homesteaded across the river from my Swanson ancestors so the family has been friends for years, before the later generations became cousins. The Swedish community in this area was a close knit group of people.

The "grenadier" (soldier) Johan August Danielsson Lång was born Aug. 17, 1832, in Adelöv parish, Jönköping county. His wife, Johanna Blomstedt was born May 4, 1832, in Hangebyhöga parish, Östergötland county. Their oldest daughter, Johanna Augusta was born Jan. 10, 1859, in Sankt Per parish, Östergötland county. Their son Carl Johan (Charley) was born June 1, 1861, in Sankt Per parish, Östergötland county.

The whole family got their moving letter for America on Sept. 28, 1869 in Sankt Per, but at that time Johan August Danielsson Lång already was in America. He had left in 1868, or earlier, without a moving letter. This family is listed in the Sankt Per household record 1869 on page 108. They are listed as emigrating to America on Sept. 28, 1869, leaving from the farm Granby in Sankt Per parish. The passenger lists have Johanna and the children on them. They are listed as leaving from the port of Göteborg on Oct. 5, 1869: Johanna Lång, 36 years old, from Sweden to New York, child, 11 years old, from Sweden to New York child, 7 years old, from Sweden to New York Source code: 2:341:29/2148
When Johanna asked for a moving letter for herself and the children the minister of Sankt Per wrote a letter for the whole family. This is not unusual. I have seen that happend pretty often. researcher: Anna-Lena Hultman Lilleskogen, Hössna S-523 97 ULRICEHAMN Sweden

During the time he was in the army in Sweden, his name was changed to "Long", because so many Danielson's were in that same area. (6/2002 Bernice Hass Long said that John Long was nicknamed "long John" in the old country because he was so tall, so when they came to US the immigrations officials changed it around to John Long.) He married Johanna Blomsteadt on January 6, 1857 in Sweden, and they had two children, Charley and Augusta, born to them in Sweden. In 1868, John came to America by himself, leaving his wife and two children there, until he could make a home for them in the United States. He worked on railroads and did whatever other work he could find to make money. Once when he had just about enough money saved to send to his family in Sweden, he was robbed, and had to start all over again. He worked his way to Iowa, where he homesteaded in 1869, the 160 acres which is located about nine miles west of Larchwood near the Big Sioux River. The locality, being close to the river which provided water and the surrounding trees, made the area an ideal place to homestead. He sent for his wife Johanna and their two children after he homesteaded. They lived in a dugout-type home until they could build their first wooden house in the 1880's. It was one of the first houses to be built on the prairie in this area. Johanna brought gifts to the Indians that lived in the area at that time. By doing this, she and the Indians became acquainted and no longer feared each other. *West Lyon Herald 12/16/1982 and Larchwood Centennial Book, 1972
John came to U.S., Sioux City, IA, 5/8/1868. The rest of his family emmigrated to America 9/28/1869.

In the early days the Long home was a landmark for travelers. The road passed through the farm, near the family dwelling, to the river crossing into Dakota Territory. Hardships of pioneer life were numerous; there were blizzards, lack of bridges meant streams and rivers would flood over, travel was limited and there was a lack of many conviences we know today including telephone communications. Medical services were only sought and secured in dire circumstances. This made for closer intimate dependance on good neighbors. The nearest grocery store might be a couple of days away on foot.

Soon after coming from Sweden, Johanna (Blomstedt) Long ventured on a shopping tour to Sioux City, not realizing the distance and hazards involved. She started early one morning following a southerly path and became completely lost. Due to language difficulties, not being able to communicate with even a stranger in this sparsely populated area she was unable to chart a homeward path. After a week's inquiry and search it was discovered that she missed her way. She was found in Yankton, SD.

One day Johanna was alone at home with her family. A group of Indians came by and set up camp on the banks of the Sioux River just a few rods from their dwelling. This was a new experience for her. She listened to many stories of fierce atrocities and killings committed by unfriendly Indians. With thoughts of her helplessness to defend herself and her family, she was suddenly seized with fear, what would she do? She couldn't run away, no place to go. Could she conceal her where-abouts until her husband returned? But with children this was most difficult. Besides there were chores to do and an evening meal to prepare. Finally she hit upon a more positive strategy, she churned butter, made bread, gathered a few eggs and took them in person to the Indians. They gladly accepted these tokens, a meaningful symbol of good will and in turn offered some wild game roasting on the fire. This was a signal point of friendship. The smiling Indian chief stepped forward and gave her a gentle pat on the shoulder. Johanna returned home with assurance she had nothing to fear.

A third child was born to this union in Iowa. Ferdinand Danielson Long was born in 1873 and died in 1891 at 18 years old. He was one of the earliest to be buried in what would become the Grandview Covenant Church Cemetery overlooking the river valley where the Longs homesteaded.
Larchwood Centennial 1872-1972 Remember the Past Build for the Future and The LONG Family History.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails