Thursday, January 15, 2009

Burrrrrrrrr

I've updated an earlier post about the weather and school. The photos are from the winter of 1961, back home in NW Iowa, back in the days before everyone had snow blowers. I'm not going outside to photograph our snow and you can't photograph the cold so why try? I think it's more fun to look back at old photos.
So far this has been our school schedule this week.
*Monday - we got dismissed at 11 a.m. and got snow
*Tuesday - was a tw
o hour late start, my car didn't start after school and my battery is only 2 yrs. old, we got 7.3" of snow Tues. night
*Wednesday - cancelled
*Thursday - cancelled, our air temp is -24 with a -45 wind chill! The TV station just played Foreigner's song "You're as cold as ice!" I can relate!
As of this morning our record snow fall this winter is 34.9 inches compared to 17.9" last year at this time, and there are many more days of winter! We've now missed 5 days of school so far this winter, we'll be going to school into June now. :-( I heard 190 public school districts in Iowa, out of 362, altered their schedule Thursday due to the weather.
I now have no excuse for not attacking my list of things to do around the house. I'm off...
UPDATE *Friday - Two hour late start. My car didn't start. We hit a new record in Denver of air temp of -36 this morning! but it was 1 degree F. at 3:30 p.m... a heat wave!
A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water. - Carl Reiner
Announced by all the trumpets of the sky, arrives the snow. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails